Findley CLC Facts:
- Findley CLC has nearly 500 students in kindergarten through 5th grade
- 100% are economically disadvantaged
- The majority of our Asian students come to us from refugee camps
- The predominant languages are: English, Nepalese, Karen, Burmese, Spanish, Chin and Arabic (along with other languages and dialects). English is spoken and taught at Findley.
- One on One Akron Reads Tutor for a 3rd grade student for one hour per week. Being able to commit weekly is important. Choose a day, Monday through Friday 12noon-1:00pm. There may also be some afternoon openings Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 3:00-4:00pm. Online tutorial is provided, but mostly the ability to read, ask questions about the story and enjoy the student is all it takes. A background check is required, but the cost is paid by Akron Public Schools.
- In Classroom Help assisting a teacher on a weekly basis. Depending on the grade and classroom, times are coordinated with classroom needs. Help with reading, working on math facts, assisting with special projects…teachers are grateful for the assistance.
- Keeping the Closet Organized with uniforms, shoes and coats. We keep a supply of used uniforms, tennis shoes, winter coats, hats, gloves, etc. for our students. This has expanded to winter coats for parents.
- Field Trip Chaperones are needed several times a year; times and activities vary.
- Resource Provider of whatever the school needs J. Needs are emailed to Team Findley (those who want to be informed of Findley CLC opportunities). Many people are unable to assist during school hours due to their own jobs, but love to hear about other ways to help. It could be materials for a special teacher project, sponsoring a child’s field trip cost or school supplies.
- On Site Event Volunteers are needed for school events such as Math Night, Reading Night, Open House, Field Days, Findley Family Harvest Dinner and Halloween costume helpers.
Contact me if you have any questions, would like to volunteer or to get on the Team Findley email list. Thank you.
— Jane Pennyfirstname.lastname@example.org
- New or gently used car seats
- Children’s tennis shoes 9 toddler – size 4 youth
- Children’s polo shirts (plain front) youth sizes XS, S, M, Lg
- Crayola crayons 24 pack
- Toiletries: deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
Items may be marked Findley and dropped off in the main office at First Congregational Church Hudson, 47 Aurora Street or delivered to Findley CLC. Connect with Jane Penny if you need items picked up.
There are many opportunities to get involved on a variety of different levels. Our goal is to serve whenever, wherever, however! If you have a skill or gift that you would like to contribute to the Findley Project, please let us know. We will be happy to work with your schedule, whether you can give 1 hour a month or 6 hours a week.
Ready to get started? Fill out the form below and we'll be in touch.
Please join us in thanking our project partners for making a difference in the lives of Findley CLC students.
Akron Public Schools
EMERGE Counseling Services
First Congregational Church of Hudson
Summit Education Initiative
The Love Akron Network