Today we welcome to The Connection Wes Fair, Executive Director of Shelter Care.
What’s your favorite quote?“Young people need models, not critics” – John Wooden
What’s something unique about you? I have been an adjunct faculty member at NEOMED for over 20 years, teaching first year medical school students empathy skills when interacting with patients.
Hi, I’m Wes Fair, and I am the Executive Director of Shelter Care. Every day is a new challenge here at Shelter Care, which we are blessed to have the opportunity to overcome with God’s grace and guidance.
To give you a snapshot of what we do here, Shelter Care operates five different programs that all meet the immediate needs of youth in Summit and surrounding counties.
- We have a long-term program called the Shelter Home Program for boys, ages 11-18, who are cared for by a live-in married couple.
- We have the only licensed teen pregnancy shelter in the state of Ohio, called The Highlands Teen Pregnancy Shelter, which provides residential and mental health services for mothers, ages 16-21, and their infants.
- We also operate a crisis program, called Safe Landing Youth Shelters, which provides residential and mental health services to boys and girls, ages 11-17, who are enduring severe issues at home.
- Respite Program is for kids, ages 6-17, who are receiving intensive counseling through Child Guidance and Family Solutions, and require one weekend a month away from home to spend time with a live-in married couple who is qualified to meet their immediate needs
- Finally, we also operate a non-residential drop-in center called SOS (Street Outreach Services) which serves homeless and at-risk young adults, ages 16-24 by providing them with healthy meals, shelter, resources for housing, education, and employment, and anything else they might need to get off the streets.
All of our youth have endured some form of trauma and require lots of attention, love, and support to help them heal and grow. Our goal at Shelter Care is to help our youth experience God’s love and grace through the support they receive from our staff members and friends in the community. I love being part of a community that puts these youth first and shares their blessings with those who have been broken and battered. We love Akron and all of the wonderful things it does for our youth!