The first Love Akron prayer event was held at Arlington Street Church of God on May 23, 1995. Pastor Mark Ford, Dr. Ron Fowler, and Pastor Knute Larson, simply known as the “invitation committee”, convened this event. The next year, at a prayer retreat, the attending pastors formally asked Pastor Knute Larson and Pastor Mark Ford to assume a more formal leadership role in this emerging city wide-prayer movement.
One by one, over a period of 13 years, hundreds of pastors and ministry leaders in Summit County have discovered each other at Love Akron. A quarterly call to prayer continues to be the core event that draws us together. Love Akron also leads city-wide prayer initiatives and coordinates prayer retreats and small prayer groups. We serve as a resource, communication clearinghouse and connection for the leaders of churches and ministries in Summit County. Prayer, unity and collaborative ministry have become the three-part mission on which Love Akron rests.
Today, Love Akron is a cooperative fellowship of over 250 ministers and ministry leaders across Summit County, ranging from Catholic priests to prison chaplains. Love Akron exists to see the Greater Akron Area transformed by the power of The Gospel of Jesus Christ by bringing together the leadership of churches and servant ministries for the purpose of prayer, unity and collaborative ministry. With God’s help, we will continue to see the Greater Akron Area come together and experience a spiritual transformation.
- Dave Fair – Executive Director of Shelter Care
- Pastor Mark Ford – former Senior Pastor of Cuyahoga Falls Assembly of God
- Dr. Ron Fowler – former Senior Pastor of Arlington Street Church of God
- Kaye Gauder – Executive Director of Akron Pregnancy Services
- Bishop Joey Johnson – Senior Pastor of The House of the Lord
- Gina Kim – former Pastor of Munroe Falls United Methodist Church;
- Pastor Knute Larson – former Senior Pastor of The Chapel
- Dave Scavuzzo – Senior Pastor of Northampton United Methodist Church